Marktheidenfeld is a German town in Bavaria, about 15 miles west of Würzburg and located on the River Main. Markthedenfeld's beginnings are as a town called Heidenfeld in the 8th century and was associated with monastery belonging to the Fulda Abbey. Governed first by the Counts of Wertheim and later by the Grand Duchy of Würzburg, the town passed over to the Kingdom of Bavaria along with Würzburg in 1814.
The Alte Mainbrücke in Marktheidenfeld was built in 1846 as part of the road link from Würzburg and Aschaffenburg. It was built with red sandstone from the region. On April 2, 1945 two arches of the bridge were blown by the retreating German army.